Tuesday, May 10, 2022

On Twitter, and What Will Be Lost If Elon Musk Takes It Over

Summary of a series of tweets.

If Elon Musk takes over Twitter, and it becomes toxic, well, it's been nice knowing you. Twitter, for all its faults, has helped me find news and people I wouldn't otherwise have known. Some of you I'll follow on to other platforms. Some of you can follow my blog.

The Twitter algorithm, despite its flaws, has helped me find people and news, and no-one seems interested in implementing another version or operating a service that would run it. Mastodon, with no algorithm, is not a useful substitute; it drowns one in toots (and why did the author not know that is an English euphemism for "farts?") and doesn't allow weighting by author, content, or anything else.

So here's hoping Musk's deal falls through! – tweets

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't use twitter much..I have alerts that send me 'top tweets' in my feed, but other that a few likes or twitting some referece to West...not much..so it won't bother me to shut that sucker down.

The Blog Fodder said...

I started using twitter to follow the Russian invasion of Ukraine as it usually is well ahead of the news media, even the Kyiv Independent. I do hope Elon Musk's attempt at destroying Twitter fails miserably and costs him billion