Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The worst day for American democracy in my lifetime

Attorney general Jeff Sessions apparently lied and perjured himself on the witness stand in front of Congress. Meanwhile​, Senate Republicans continue to write their health care bill in secret, and Senate Democrats continue to not be willing to fight the thing. My own Senator is just not willing to do anything behind regular procedure. Now that she's been directly insulted by Senator Lamar Alexander she may be more willing to act, but what does it take to get the Democrats to actually do anything?

And this morning brings the news that Republican House whip Scalise has been shot in an apparently non-political mass shooting.

The past day and a half, I think, has been the worst for American democracy of my life. My country, oh my country.

No comments: