- Collected accounts of the murders.
- Mercer was a death-obsessed young man.
- no, Oregon public college campuses are not gun-free zones.
- Sheriff Hanlin, of Douglas County, where the Umpqua Community College is located, was a Sandy Hook truther; don't know if he still is one.
- Mercer's mother was reportedly firearms-obsessed and purchased several of the weapons the police confiscated. (Added 10/5.)
- We're helpless, helpless, helpless, says Donald Trump.
- Ben Carson says we must prevent the Congress from doing anything useful
- Australia thinks we're nuts.
A few facts, in case anyone actually cares about them
- How the NRA became defenders of firearms violence
- Healy, America is a Violent Country
- Richardson and Hemenway, Homicide, Suicide, and Unintentional Firearm Fatality: Comparing the United States With Other High-Income Countries, 2003
- Phillips, et. al., Concealed Handgun Licensing and Crime in Four States and summary, Concealed guns have zero effect on crime rates
Things that might actually help
- Obama's call for action (video)
- Jim Wright, Bang Bang Sanity
- The Guardian: Oregon shooting: Eight Ideas to Help Stop Gun Violence
- Spocko's Brain: Now is the time to change how the media covers shootings