Monday, May 30, 2016

Trump and Clinton: Talking Ourselves Into It

I've been watching a Facebook discussion of the candidates started by Jim Wright (and you should read him) and I realized I was watching Democrats persuade themselves that a protégée of Henry Kissinger is somehow a wise maker of foreign policy. How is this different from what Republicans are doing with Trump, persuading themselves that he will be a good President? I mean, Henry Kissinger? The man who suborned Nixon's treason, dragging out the war in Vietnam for another four years, killing 20,000 US troops, something like a million Vietnamese, illegally bombing Cambodia, and bringing the genocidal Pol Pot to power, leading to the deaths of two million Cambodians.

I grant that Trump is likely to be worse than Clinton (and he met with Kissinger himself on the 18th of May.) But this is a huge failing, and all the long-time Clinton supporters I know or have read are just glossing it over.

Where are we going, and what are we doing in this handbasket?

No comments: