A few days ago, I tweeted: "The Republicans and conservative Democrats seem to want another Great Depression the way they want another war in the Middle East." And it's true! So I got to wondering what else they wanted that was totally insane. Here's the list I came up with:
- Widespread debt servitude
- Privatization of education.
- The constant threat of lethal force in public life, both from the police and private citizens
- Arbitrary deportations
- Abrogation and repeal of the reconstruction amendments (13th, 14th, 15th) to the constitution.
- The reduction of Federal government authority to pre-Civil War levels
These would lead to:
- The return of the segregated South.
- Permanent non-citizen status for the children of non-citizens.
- Social insurance at the state level only
- The restriction of education to the wealthy.
- A resurgence of diseases long controlled.
- The collapse of Federal regulatory authority
- The emergence of multiple currencies.
- No effective law enforcement on very wealth individuals and businesses
- No effective regulation of the business cycle.
- The collapse of interstate and international trade, as products of unknown provenance can no longer be trusted
- National economic collapse.
F—, what? I mean, really, what?