There's some victim blaming going here. The party that failed to stop fascism partly failed to stop fascism because people tried very hard to keep it from stopping fascism. The Democrats have not had a substantial Congressional majority since, I think, the year 2000. If the voters wanted to vote out the Republicans--and remember, the Republicans stole the 2000 Presidential election--they could have done so at any time. We have Republican dominance because people voted for them. We can argue over why; generally I think racism and sexism, emerging in reaction to the successes of women's rights and Black rights in the 1960s handed the control of the country to racist misogynist reactionaries, who are now repeating the mistakes of the First Gilded Age, with added environmental and foreign policy mistakes.
-
I’m starting to see a possibility that the campists are going to successfully split the Democratic vote, leading to Republicans holding the House and Senate in 2027. Is the far left going to wreck the 2026 US election, the way the KPD wrecked the 1932 German election? The parallels are unnerving.
-
[To someone who is busy blaming Democrats.]
Would you rather Republicans win more elections? Or we could have the far left faction that Piker is so popular with; he thinks Mao is great. I have problems with the Democratic Party, but a big part of why they’re being criticized is victim-blaming, as well as denial of responsibility. -
[I don’t read campists.]
I also don’t read flat-earthers, and I don’t think this is an intellectual failing. -
I see a risk of a dissolution into violent conflict, perhaps not civil war but a period of internal terrorist conflict. What we have now is horrible, but it could be much, much worse.
-
One thing I think the Platner and el-Sayed candidacies, and the popularity of Piker, show is a desire for hard men on the left. Knowing history I can only say “No, no.” Based on El-Sayed’s remarks I’m getting rather cop vibes from El-Sayed and I suspect Black people are uneasy with him for that reason. (I am, too.) I’m taking the violence of el-Sayed’s metaphors, and his association with Hasan Piker, apparently a Maoist, seriously.
- Peter Hotez: “We really need to collect the stories of all 200,000-300,000 Americans who needlessly died from Q3 2021 to Q3 of 2022 from Covid bc they refused Covid vaccines.”
Me: We should build a memorial to them, to victims of the culture war.
- [In a discussion of the costs of clean energy]
Photovoltaic panels are underpriced; pay the people who do the work decently, control the environmental costs of manufacture, and they’d be more expensive. I support photovoltaic technology! It’s great! But much of the polysilicon that goes into PV panels in China is made by slave labor and, yes, with coal. - [The Trump administration is planning on banning components of PV systems made in China, which is the main source of them.]
So are we now going to be smuggling parts for our photovoltaic systems?
- [On the gutting of the IRS]
The United States adopted its Constitution partly because the Articles of Confederation didn’t give the federal government the ability to tax. - [On the failing of young men’s support of Trump]
It’s long been a feminist point that tough guy masculinity doesn’t benefit most guys; only the guys at the top. It doesn’t seem to stop men from participating but, maybe if they see an alternative, especially one that allows them a better shot with women, maybe. - [In response to a boneheaded remark from Sen. Deb Fischer]
If police are not civilians, something is badly wrong with your society. - [Are the dumbest people alive all here on this app?]
Nope. Most of them are on X.
No comments:
Post a Comment